drop-kick the drop-side cribs

The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday that Toys “R” Us has stopped ordering drop-side cribs because of safety concerns. The good old Consumer Products Safety Commission, full of action, has scheduled a meeting to plan how the government can better reassure us that drop-side cribs are safe. In other words, they’re going to take a good long time to figure out how to tell us all there’s no problem. Meanwhile, after 21 recalls of 4.2 million cribs over the last two years, the largest toy retailer is pulling the plug, rather than waiting until a drop-side crib actually comes to life and bludgeons a babe with its own rickety parts. Apparently, that’s what it would take for the CPSC to take quicker action.

I’ve never really understood the point of drop-side cribs; I own them but have never used the drop-side function. It never even occurred to me. I’m hoping that makes my own particular cribs a little less rickety.

It does chap my fanny, however, that when there really IS something dangerous to our children– as drop-side cribs are proving to be– the agencies that are supposed to protect us are always caught sleeping on the job. Same with the cough medicine, same with the salmonella peanut butter. And that means, as mothers, we can’t really ever relax. I think it’s probably better for my kids if I don’t worry about every single thing they encounter being hazardous to their health. But sometimes I’m not so sure.

Marketing Mama April 27, 2009 at 5:13 am

You know… I had a drop side and loved it with my first baby. Always seemed safe to me and sturdy. That same crib was recalled a few weeks into my 2nd baby’s life. I was TICKED. Had to spend a lot of money to upgrade between the value of #1 and the price of a non-drop-side.

Stanley April 30, 2009 at 4:29 pm

We raised two wonderful children to toddler-hood in the same drop-side crib. No problem at all. After reading the WSJ article it sounds to me as if the problem is really just certain poorly-made or poorly-assembled units.

hilby April 30, 2009 at 5:10 pm

We bought a high quality drop-side crib when my wife was expecting our first. It has been dismantled and moved with us twice and baby number 4 is sleeping in it now.

NukedSRT April 30, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I agree with hilby… we have had a drop side since our first boy almost 6 years ago. It is a high quality crib, has survived 3 moves, and we are now on our third boy!! The drop side is a great convenience, and we have never had any reason to doubt the safety of the crib…

Lady M May 1, 2009 at 4:30 am

The drop side makes a big difference if you’re a petite mom (like me) who can’t reach over a high railing to put the baby down gently!

Uncommon_In_NC May 1, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I am willing to bet you are at least 5'5". Picture being 5'0" with the kid needing the mattress at its lowest setting. The kid is now HEAVY and you have lousy leverage due to your height, er, lack thereof. Hello back pain! That drop side saved me, and 4 kids lived through the experience. One was a climber, one was a rattler (let me out of this jail!), one gnawed like a beaver and the last always wanted IN the thing. Our crib predated these latest warnings, but it always was sturdy & NOTHING my husband puts together EVER comes apart (or off the wall . . . ). It survived five moves too. Perhaps another case of "they don't make 'em like they used to."

Jen @ Rolling Through Looneyville May 1, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I have a drop side and find it to be a necessity. But that’s because I’m inordinately short and can’t reach the bottom of the crib with the baby if it’s in the lowest setting.

The short mamas are going to need step stools.