swine flu: not looking good

This morning, there is sad news that the first US death has occurred due to the swine flu, a little boy in Houston, Texas, not quite two years old.

And here we all are, at the same crossroads we’ve been at umpteen times. Is it time for us to freak out? Or, like MRSA, SARS, and the avian bird flu, are we going to feel like idiots in six months for having bought into the hype?

This morning, at my sons’ school, not only did they have Purell at the doors to the school, but more sanitizer was pumped into each child’s hand as he or she entered the classroom.

Is this risible? Or merely prudent? Who can say? In the meanwhile, it seems like we can do absolutely nothing about swine flu, but worry. And use more Purell.

Mollie April 29, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Their school is located pretty close to two other schools where there have been possible cases reported… So I guess it’s less of an overreaction than it would be in the middle of Idaho. (Assuming there have been no cases reported in Idaho.) Could still be a pointless panic, though!

farmgirlearl April 30, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I just wanted to leave a short comment, I just read your story on CNN.com this morning. It caught my attention because it read I don’t want a girl… How can you write such a horrible story! How can you be a strong supporter of women’s rights and success in this world when you complain about the female population! Shame on you! It’s because of women like you that women can not band together and create a strong message that women shouldn’t be defined to certain sterotypes!!! Shame on you!

farmgirlearl April 30, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Bad bad bad, have you ever thought what your daughter will think when she reads your article oneday!!!!!

Mollie April 30, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Hey, you’re on the CNN.com front page – very cool!

I hope “Farmgirlearl” doesn’t actually read the story. It would spoil all the fun of being outraged over what she imagines it says.

Sarah A. April 30, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I saw your story on CNN.com this morning as well. And, unlike farmgirlearl, I thought: AWESOME! I guess, SHAME ON ME, I didn’t realize that you were complaining about the female population. Good thing other commenters could clear that up for me.

Congratulations on a story well told. Personally, I think it’s great that you were able to write something like that, and I think it’s a boon to women around the globe who may have felt the same way – about a boy or a girl.

Re: this post, well, I think we just have to hope that we feel like fools in a few months. At least, that’s the angle I’m going for.

Sarah – http://www.becomingsarah.com

Max April 30, 2009 at 4:34 pm

farmgirlearl, maybe you should read a little more, perhaps take the link to her blog. I had the same feelings in reverse, a Dad who had a girl having a boy. Would I be a good boy Dad? I thought the article was fantastic, and if her daughter reads it, she will know her Mother cared so much that she was concerned. Shame on you farmgirl, it’s your kind of reactions that make stereotypes what they are. Kind of ironic. Look it up if you don’t get it right away.

Me April 30, 2009 at 4:49 pm

They’ve got Swine flu in my part of the country now too. I’m not feeling panicked about it, but I’m a little concerned about my daughter getting it because he immune system overreacts to the most mild bug. Most of the time she ends up at the doctors, and once she had to go to the ER and get an IV because she wasn’t holding down liquids.
Just read your article on CNN–thought it was very good! My best friend was terrified of having a girly girl, because she was never one herself. But she’s finding she actually enjoys helping her daughter be girly! Funny how that works.

lalalaleesa April 30, 2009 at 8:23 pm

I live in Fort Worth, TX. Our children’s school district decided to close all schools for 10 days, sometime late last evening. Thankfully, my kids are in a charter school, which is only agreeing to close until Monday, and then they’re going to “re-evaluate”. There is 1 confirmed case, and 3 other suspected cases in the entire district. It seems like overkill to me, but I was glad to get some extra rest this morning and so were my kids. My heart goes out to those with afflicted family members. The adage “better safe than sorry” comes to mind, but … we shall see. By the way, I have 2 sons, and 2 daughters – boy, girl, boy, girl, in order. When we were expecting #3, people would straight out say, “What are you thinking!?!? You already have one of each!”. So, ‘I feel ya’.

Em April 30, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I’m in Dallas, and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop here – with Ft. Worth is closed, I imgaine it’s only a matter of time.

And after Biden’s comment, I feel like banishing my Hubs to the office until this all blows over. He was on a flight last night – the germs! The germs!!