welcome babblers

Today, I had an article published on babble.com called Why Cookie Crumbled: the rise and fall of the unattainable and irresistible parenting magazine. As of this writing, it’s right there on the home page, which is very exciting.

Let me just say that I loved Cookie magazine, really I did, despite my somewhat snarky tone in this article. It made me feel bad about myself, but I read every single issue nonetheless. Babble lopped off my article’s original ending, where I admitted to having saved every back issue, and surmised that I would therefore be continuing to gorge on Cookie well into the future.

It would be nice if other parenting titles, or, say, babble, picked up some of Cookie’s better features, like the sex column and the “if you have rotisserie chicken, you can make these five things” recipes. But we, as a society, might have moved beyond the $275 designer jeans, size 2T. And that is a good thing.

If you’re here because of the article, welcome! I would love to hear your thoughts.

Erin October 10, 2009 at 11:45 am

I really enjoyed your article. I too had a love/hate relationship with Cookie. In a million years I would never purchase a $200 sequined halter top for date night but if I'm honest with myself, I think Cookie helped me yank myself out of the sleep deprived, constant ponytail stage of new motherhood. Now I least manage to put on actual pants everyday and some mascara. I'd certainly never be considered fit to grace the pages of Cookie, but at least I'm giving "having it all" at shot.

I won't miss Cookie but I still miss its competitor, Wondertime. Wondertime was much more my speed and seemed to cater to the "less is more" parenting philosophy.

Thanks for a great article.

BabyonBored October 11, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I loved, loved, loved your article. Wow, where have you been all my life? I had high hopes for Cookie when they first came out because according to them, they wanted to be the Real Magazine for Real Moms – hardly. Unlike you, I didn't find it a guilty pleasure because I am sooo not their target audience. I have no such lofty goals of buying a 900 dollar trench coat or making foods I can't pronounce. I loved the refernce to pork skewers and coconut balls. I'm lucky if my kid will choke down a hotdog – LUCKY I tell ya. Okay, off to release the twins from their high chairs so they can smear food on our cheap but easy to clean couches.

Leah October 12, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Well put! But, I do hope something else will come along to fill the void. Though I think there are lots of great resources on the web, I do still love to flip through the pages of a magazine, and hope the best of Cookie is revived in a new, more realistic publication.

mama's got moxie October 12, 2009 at 11:29 pm

oh, your article on babble was gooooooooood! i loved flipping through cookie, but it was clear that most of it was was quite unattainable…by me anyway. i figured other moms were out there just living a bit larger than me and that maybe just maybe i was the only mom being hit by the recession. 😉

mama's got moxie October 12, 2009 at 11:31 pm

and hey, there's always baby couture! http://www.babycouturemag.com/ (yes, i luv torturing myself… haha…)

hayley October 13, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Amy, I saw your article on Babble .. and you really voiced my exact struggle with the magazine. So glad to hear that you still saved all of them — so did I — because there's an element of fantasy that's so worthwhile. It's like Vogue. Will I ever wear anything hand picked by Anna Wintour? Uh, no. But is it fun to look at? Hell yes! Also: I loved their essays!

SuZ October 13, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Just read your article, and I liked it. I liked that you spoke from a non "New Mom" position. I could never identify with the magazine b/c I'm no where nears the kind of Mom they portray… I'm just a Mom that manages to get through everyday without too many bumps and bruises… and I'm proud of it.

Great job! 🙂

Patois October 13, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I'm far too out of it and far too old to have ever been a New Mom (or care about being one), and I never read Cookie. But I could just replace "O" with "Cookie" and pretty much envision it all. (This from an O subscriber, by-the-by.)

Loved the article. Really nicely done.

MyHormonesMadeMeDoIt October 13, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I loved the insight you provided and you know it makes one wonder why someone at Cookie couldn't have had a little reality check a bit sooner so we could all coninue to enjoy. Or at least those of us who did could continue.

Nicole Feliciano October 14, 2009 at 2:19 pm

I think you used the snarky tone to your advantage. Shame on you for picking on Cookie after the fall. Come on we aren't in high school anymore if a glossy mag makes you feel inferior that's pretty sad. I loved that they encouraged moms to aim high–I for one was inspired to toss on my Jimmy Choos more often after reading Cookie.

Anonymous October 14, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I loved your piece on Cookie. I only purchased a few issues of Cookie after its premier because it was indeed a little out of my league. I subscribe to Vogue though so go figure. In fact, Cookie was the Vogue of parenting magazines. I guess I feel that, when it comes to parenting, I always need solid help and advice more than I need to fantasize about how much better someone else is doing at it. I agree with Erin and will miss Wondertime so much more.

Leah October 14, 2009 at 3:00 pm

Nicole-I think that's just the point we're trying to make: many of us don't have and can't afford Jimmy Choos. So, a magazine that inspires one to toss them on can present a problem for those of us who are pinching pennies a little tighter. But, I agree with you that they did encourage moms to aim high. I just wished that more of what was featured in Cookie was actually within reach for more women.

Shelley Abreu October 21, 2009 at 2:57 pm

This was a great article. I've written several essays for Babble as well! Your piece struck a chord–I kept reading Cookie too even though I felt disdain after each issue! Good insight. I'm glad to discover your blog.