hug your toddlers today

Sad news to report this morning: fellow mother/writer Shellie Ross has lost her 2 yr old son, Bryson, after he drowned in their backyard pool.

Shellie’s family had lived in this home for less than three weeks. She turned her back for one moment. He was gone.

I don’t know Shellie, but Twitter is lit up this morning about her and her family’s tragedy. A few Twitter users saw fit to tell her she should not have turned her back on him, she should not have left him alone, this was her fault. As if that were what she needed to hear. As if this couldn’t have happened to any of us. As a result, many (thousands) more are writing her to offer her words of support and sympathy.

If you would like to send Shellie a message, you can find her on Twitter at @military_mom. You can also send her a note to this address:

Shellie Ross
c/o Trisha Haas
5359 cimaron court
theodore, al 36582

To make all of this worse, her husband is away right now (serving in the miltary). She needs all the support she can get, especially from other mothers. We are the only ones who can begin to understand how quickly something like this could happen, and the depths of pain she must feel today.

Hug your kids. Life is precious.

JoJo December 15, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Although I don't know if I would be twittering about my son falling in the pool I definitely agree that all it takes is two seconds for something to happen. It could happen to anyone and in all reality it HAS happened to all of us at some point or another, the result just wasn't as severe. We've have all experienced a time when we've turned our back for 2 seconds and kids have gotten into trouble. Thoughts and prayers are being sent her way.

The Marketing Mama December 15, 2009 at 5:49 pm

That's just awful. 🙁

Amy Wilson December 15, 2009 at 7:41 pm

You're right JoJo, there's been some blowback about why this woman would Twitter about this. Due to the incredible outpouring of support she has received there, though, I think it wasn't a bad idea. I doubt it was while she was waiting for paramedics to arrive, if you know what I'm saying. It's weird… Twitter is maligned for being completely trivial, but if someone says something this important, that also seems weird. It's an issue worth exploring, anyhow.

Kelly Pool December 15, 2009 at 8:37 pm

This is so sad. This summer my ten year old was at a friend's pool and a toddler fell in. He swam over and got the boy out quickly but if he hadn't been looking in that direction it could have been so different. He was face down in the pool when my son saw him. All of the adults were distracted by another child that had just gotten hurt while running. Just this morning my best friend in California told me that her daughter was watching a movie in her room and somehow got the blind cords wrapped around her neck. Her ten year old son found her and couldn't get the cords undone and screamed for help. They got to her in time but again it could have been so different. It's crazy how fast things can happen. We just have to be extra careful and vigilent around our toddlers.

Kelly December 15, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Oh, I'm sorry. Peyton (my friend's little girl) is doing great. They are all just really shaken.

themrs December 15, 2009 at 8:44 pm

so heartbreaking! anyone who would judge how this happened obviously hasn't had toddlers!

Roxane B. Salonen December 17, 2009 at 5:11 am

Amy, I'm slow to catch up on my reading and had not caught this on Twitter. Oh, I am so, so sad for them. I will keep them in my prayers. You're right in what you said. It is troubling when people judge parents. It could have happened to any of us; you're absolutely right. I feel for them all.

Anonymous December 18, 2009 at 12:43 am

You know, I don't think it is wise to judge our actions while we are in the first throes of loss. Perhaps this woman did not have anyone else to turn to, so her twitter was the most available way to keen her great loss.

Also, my cousin's wife drowned in the pool. She had a seizure…he came home from work and found her. Accidents could happen to any of us. How about instead of criticism, we show mercy?