Max and Ruby: can we talk?

Right now my daughter’s favorite show is Max and Ruby. Yes, I find it unwatchable, but so is Ni Hao, Kai-Lan! and she watches that almost every day too. I mean, no one’s head gets blown off, and I don’t have to sit and watch it *with* her, so who cares?

But when I mentioned Max and Ruby last week, in a post not really about them, I was intrigued to find that these two adorable bunnies were what people wanted to discuss.

It all started when Wendi said that Ruby scares her. Wendi is a funny woman (click above for her blog) but I think she was being serious.

Then Mollie said that Wendi made her “laugh out loud” but concurred: “Ruby is one seriously unlikable character.”

I myself have always hate Ruby’s weird voice. I also hate that she never just loses her shit and screams her head off at her pest of a little brother. But I’m telling you, there is a hatred of Max and Ruby out there that goes much further. I googled “Ruby from Max and Ruby is annoying” and discovered a treasure trove of ill will.

Over on a blog called The Baughers, one commenter says, “If I was Max I would kick Ruby’s teeth in.”

Another goes further, into almost totally unfounded rumor-mongering: “I wonder sometimes if Ruby is really Max’s unwed teenage mother.”

It’s not all aimed at Ruby, either. Max says like one word an episode (over and over) and for some people, that’s even worse. I read one comment online saying that “Max needs a good kick in the ass.” Another admitted that in her darker moments “Max makes me want to stab him.”

My friend AJ has a larger heart. She left a comment here saying she thinks Max is misunderstood, “a savant whose bizarre screwups are always genius in the end.” I can live with that, although after seeing the depth of animosity towards these two bunnies on the internet, I will probably DVR Maggie some good old Miffy instead. (Cute bunny without the annoying voice.) Even when Max and Ruby are not in heavy rotation in my household, though, there will be one question keeping me up at night:

Where the hell are their parents?

Anonymous February 17, 2010 at 2:54 am

My kids loved Max & Ruby books. My ex-husband used to read Ruby's lines in the most annoying nagging, nasal voice. I always felt like he was trying to make her sound like a nagging wife — which in turn was hugely irritating to me, it was one of those passive-aggressive things that made me HATE him.

themrs February 17, 2010 at 4:32 am

lol my kids watch that one occasionally. i've never paid too much attention.the one i can't tolerate is caillou. why the hell does that kid whine 24/7? and then once he whines for ten minutes his parents give in to shut him up. that household is in serious need of a paddle in my opinion. i may have to blog about that 🙂

Katie A. February 17, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Wow, Max has come a long way since I was little!
I'm 30 and don't have any kids of my own yet, but I read Max and the Disapearing bag when I was a child and really enjoyed it. Yes, Max was a moron in the book but I also didn't have to listen to his annoying voice or any other family member's for that matter.
I guess it's just interesting to see how NickJr. can even ruin a great children's book in the span of a half hour!

Anonymous February 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Two posts in a row about TV shows? First Blue Clues and now Max & Ruby. I guess the weather must be keeping everyone inside!

Mollie February 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I love the unwed teen mom theory. I like any theory that explains why Ruby gets to boss Max around endlessly like somebody died and made her queen of the playroom.

Wendi February 18, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I think we all know what Ruby did to the parents. Just grab a flashlight and go check the deep freezer in the basement.

Thanks so much for the mention!

–Wendi

es February 19, 2010 at 2:37 am

thanks for the good laugh. my daughter is OBSESSED with this show and it drives me nuts! but reading how much others hate max and/or ruby made my day. the unwed mother theory is awesome. my daughter always asks about the parents too. in our last conversation about max & ruby, i tried to explain the missing parents by saying that they probably live somewhere else. my just-turned-4-year-old looked me square in the eyes and said, "or maybe they're dead." =P

The Cole fam May 11, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I love this!
My son Max (3.5), being named Max thinks that Max and Ruby is the coolest show ever. I think Ruby is a jerk and I agree that bunny Max is some weird savant… cant talk but can use a remote control? maybe this is a disturbing commentary the future of our children…

Any way when my Max started talking in one word sentences (and he's been speaking full sentences since 2) I about lost it. I simply cannot stand it.

Unfortunately my Max instinctively knows what time it comes on tv and asks to watch it nearly everyday. Hudson, 2, has no interest in the show. I'm with him