another eternal truth of motherhood

at least for me…

why is it that taking care of any number of kids that is one less than your total number of kids seems like an utter, total walk in the park?

One seems hard till you have two. Two until you have three. And so on. But it works even better in reverse.

If any one of my children are not around– Maggie’s naptime, Connor out at a birthday party– I feel like I have won the lottery. My other two children will play quietly and get along famously and peace will reign- until the third child re-enters the picture.

I know that I am not alone in this because my sister-in-law, visiting recently with her two older kids, said this was a wonderful break–  not just for her, but for my brother-in-law, who was home with “just the twins.” Oh, you know, just two-year-old twins. What a breeze for him. Practically a weekend off. But I nodded, knowing exactly what she meant. (Although maybe our standards of what is “easy” become a little lower with each subsequent sibling.)

How about you? Have you observed this phenomenon in your home?

Sweet P June 10, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Oh yeah, I still notice when my children come and go and they are 27 and 25 years old!

Wendy June 10, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Definitely. The same theory works for pets, too. I thought two dogs were a handful until I got a temporary third. When it's back down to just two, it feels like the house is empty and so…wonderfully…quiet 😉

April June 11, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Totally! I have 3 kids and now that school is out, it feels like there is a constant hum in the house all day long, not to mention the all-too-frequent arguing. Then one of my sons will go play at a friends house or my daughter will be at soccer camp and suddenly there is a great peace that falls over our home.

Jenny June 13, 2010 at 1:58 am

We have a 15 month old and 3 month old (yes I know!!) and we just started taking the 3 month old to daycare 2 days per week. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my daughter but those 2 days per week I call my days of pure utter mommy bliss. I get so much more done, I can nap when the baby naps if I want to and I feel so much more hands free. That said, my husband very ignorantly referred to those days as my "days off" and nearly lost an eye!

Zenmom08 June 13, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I have 2 year old twins and I have finally convinced my husband that splitting them up for a morning of errands is sooooo much easier than schepping all four of us to Costco and Whole Foods (even with the double car baskets). And it only took me 2 years to change his mind. Is it anyone else's experience that no one listens to the one who is always on duty?

Jenny June 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Yes, ZenMom – I fully agree!!

Anonymous June 23, 2010 at 8:31 pm