the most beautiful lights of all

Today I was reminded of a joke my dad told me this past Christmas: the most beautiful holiday lights for any grandparent, he told me, are the tail lights heading down the driveway.

This morning my two boys started day camp.

My dad’s right– that is a beautiful sight.

My boys take a bus to school every day during the school year, but it’s a city bus, and I take it with them. So to have two of my children picked up at my doorstep at 9:00 a.m, and dropped off at 4:15, is kind of unthinkably wonderful. That’s an hour longer than SCHOOL, for heaven’s sake.

And to top it all off, Maggie has been asleep for two and a half hours.
Summertime, and the livin’ is easy.

(Soon enough, yes, I shall have to eat those words. Can’t wait to find out why.)

Laber of Love June 28, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Ohhhhh I am so jealous! I just said to someone, "I wish someone would take my kids for the weekend, just so I could regroup." But even one day would be heavenly!

Amy Wilson June 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Hello L of L- I was about to remind you that I still have my daughter around. But she is seriously taking the longest nap ever. So, you're right: it's heavenly.

Courtney June 28, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I feel bad saying this, but I sometimes wish 18 month olds could go to camp:) I know, I know, that's called "daycare". But what about camp on the weekend, when you want to sit, and go to the bathroom, and have a meal, without little hands all over you!

amountainmomma June 28, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I just had three hours to myself this weekend and it was heaven.

My husband has been out of town for a month and I am starting to go a little stir crazy. It is so important to have some time for yourself sometimes.

When you do make sure you don't waste it cleaning or something!

jillybean's world June 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm

after a year….that is 365 days- of husband in afghanistan, i am counting the hours till he will be home. is it for us to have time alone??? nope, it is for him to take the two boys so i can have a moment of quiet!

Roxane B. Salonen June 29, 2010 at 1:28 am

Amy, I've had a few of those, "Ahhhhhhh……….." moments this summer as well. They are a treasure to be sure. 🙂

I love your new layout! Same as my writing blog. Great minds think alike…or something like that. 🙂

Amy Zimmerman June 29, 2010 at 4:11 am

So, no Hayground this year?

Amy Wilson June 30, 2010 at 1:40 am

Jillybean- Afghanistan? for a YEAR?! Wow. Hats off to you and your husband for surviving that year- and I hope you enjoy some much-deserved quality time alone AND with him!

Amy Wilson June 30, 2010 at 1:42 am

Roxane- I've been changing my layout a lot lately, trying to find one i like… I think this one's a keeper

Amy Z- no Hayground this year! My kids were over it. But maggie may be there soon enough…