Mommy, can I sleep with this?

It is a truth universally acknowledged that every little one needs something littler than him- or herself to lug around and love dearly. For proof of this, one need look no further than

or

Sometimes, the objects of affection are less fuzzy/cuddly, though still undeniably cute:

And then there’s my family.

Maggie is sleeping with a pair of hot-pink sunglasses.

To be fair, they were lost for most of the summer, and I just found them in a drawer a few days ago. Ever since then, she has been wearing them atop her head for all waking hours. This is from me, clearly; I love summertime because sunglasses are a constant headband option without actually wearing a headband, which always make me look like this.

I mean nothing against our Secretary of State by this, because she herself knows much better than to go around like that now. Headbands are tricky; sunglasses are instant chic hair-off-the-face.

But I digress. Maggie has taken to wearing her sunglasses atop her head all day, and taking them in the crib with her at night. “Mommy I sleep wif dese PLEASE?” she pleads, and I shrug, wishing it were always that easy to make her happy. But what is she getting out of lying on top of them all night? They seem less-than-cozy.

She may have gotten this idea from her older brother, who had his 6th birthday a few weeks back. His grandparents sent him a huge Toy Story 3 Lego set he’d had his eye on, and when the box arrived in the mail, just a few shakes gave him the clue that he was totally set up. He refused to open the gift until his actual birthday, but slept with the (wrapped) present for the three days until his birthday came. On his birthday, he unwrapped the present, then slept with the (unopened) box for another night or two.

Now he has the whole thing put together, and in the spirit of celebration, this morning he said, “Mommy, can I sleep with my Toy Story Legos tonight?”

You gotta be kidding me.

What do your kids sleep with?

LNeumann August 18, 2010 at 8:21 pm

LOL about sleeping with Lego!

When my first was around 1 year old, I tried to follow the instructions in the "No Cry Sleep" book, which suggested introducing a "lovey" to your baby.

We carefully purchased a nice, cozy little teddy bear for her. This was ultimately rejected in favour of a tiny plastic bunny rabbit(very fun to find when lost in the middle of the night). This was followed by a whole series of teeny-tiny plastic toys until about age 4 when she started receiving WebKinz as gifts.

I also tried giving my son a lovey, but he prefers to sleep with Hotwheels cars.

amountainmomma August 18, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Funny, I love the sunglasses.

My oldest used to refuse to go to sleep unless she had a princess band-aid (which I could then threaten to take away if she got out of bed) and insisted on wearing her red sparkly shoes. Now that she is four we have graduated to various un-cuddly or comforting items such as scarves, wet face cloths, dried flowers, and shiny headbands.

My youngest however has a nice soft blanket and sheep that she takes where ever she goes. I guess when it comes to 'loveys' her affections are less fickle than my eldest.

Sheila Baum August 19, 2010 at 1:54 am

My almost 2 year old daughter has great affection for her Dora the Explorer sunglasses, too. But we haven't gone as far as sleeping with them, yet. Her constant companions are a pink, "Princess" teddy bear and Elmo puppet. Unfortunately, for Princess bear, Elmo is the preferred choice. And unfortunately for mom and dad Elmo's plastic eyes can inflict pain when he's swung around and makes contact with our heads.

Amy Wilson August 19, 2010 at 1:59 am

LNeumann, my kids all have blankies, but they just have too much love to give, apparently– and that's why they also have to sleep with whatever choking hazard they trip over on the way to bed.

amountainmomma, love the princess Band-Aid! Did she have to wear it, or just have it on hand?

Sheila- what is it with the sunglasses do you think? these are Cinderella sunglasses. Maggie doesn't know who Cinderella is, really, but she loves those shades.

Deborah August 19, 2010 at 12:30 pm

When he was about 2, my first of 3 sons used to sleep with a wooden spoon and two spatulas. He'd get them out of the utensil drawer, walk around with them and take them to bed. Then he graduated to my hairdryer. We'd take it away from him when he fell asleep so he wouldn't get tangled in the cord, but he wouldn't go to sleep without it! I don't know what deep seeded emotional problems these things represent. Guess I'll have to wait and see!

Kelly Bauer August 19, 2010 at 5:00 pm

My daughter sleeps with normal stuffed 'buddies' (as we call them) but she has a strict ritual. Everyone goes in the bed – Elmo, Cookie Monster, Bert, Ernie, Big Bird, Puppy, Seahorse, Monkey, pillow and then her. You then have to lay 3 blankies over her in order – green, pink, then fluffy pink. In the morning when she gets up, everyone else goes out first before her. We have to take all 8 buddies, 3 blankets and 1 pillow out to the couch in the living room, which she hands to us instructing "Be back!", and then return for her.

Mari August 19, 2010 at 5:24 pm

So glad you posted this because the nightly, "Can I sleep with this?" drives me nuts. Nice to know I'm not alone. My girls twins are 3 1/2. One is a loyalist: she sleeps with the same blanket she's had since she was a baby. The other is a hoarder. If we let her, she would sleep with everything in the house. She often complains at bed time that she doesn't have enough "friends" despite the fact that there are five such friends in her bed. This week she is stalking her stuffed Little Einstein Leo and Bob the Tomato from Veggie Tales. That we know of. I'm sure there are other "friends" stashed somewhere. We do have a "no hard toys in the bed" rule.

amountainmomma August 19, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I have to say the band-aids ended up being a brilliant sleep aid. She would pick a spot on her body, I would stick it on and tell her if she got out of bed I was going to take it off. After about three boxes of princess band-aids she forgot all about them and stayed in her bed without any threats of band-aid removal.

Best money I ever spent!

The trick is to buy band-aids that don't stick for a long time (like the tattoo ones, they never come off, no good for this method) so you have to put on a new one every night.

I did feel a little guilty sometimes though, what kind of mother threatens to take off her child's band-aid?? One who's sick of sleeping in the chair next to her bed, that's who!

Driven Mama August 19, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I had a City Councilwoman give me a pink Gund bear blanket when I was pregnant with my son. I guess she didn't get the memo. It was in the closet for years – thinking maybe I'd someday have a girl. My son found it when he was about four and has been sleeping with it ever since. It's named Fuzzy and he has no issue with the pinkness. Of course, he also sleeps with a stuffed Gator, so I guess it evens out.

JEZ August 20, 2010 at 12:23 am

I wasn't aware this was such a common phase! My [alomst] 3 year old is going through it now. Mostly it's with books. "Can I take this?" she'll ask as she loads up her arms with books. Lately, however, she's been sleeping with a plastic tiara her Grandma gave her when she was born! Talk about PRINCESS!

Mary Pat August 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm

You know those thin cardboard sleeves that are in the packs of toddler underwear? Meghan slept with the Dora cardboard sleeve for a while. She had a beanie baby Dora doll mind you, but wanted no part of that in her bed.

Meredith August 20, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Ok Deborah's comment made me laugh out loud……that is great.

And all this time my husband and I have been wondering if we were raising little freak shows because of the weird stuff they want to sleep with – but no! All kids apparently are little freaks like ours!

Lately my 2 yr old daughter wants to sleep with her dog purse – not a purse with pics of dogs, but a pink and green purse in the shape of a dog. We don't let her because of strangulation worries of course, but she does wear it on her shoulder everywhere else – to eat, walk around the house, walk outside, sitting in the car, brushing her teeth….you name it.

My 5 yr old son is the worst – his change almost monthly, but some popular "snuggly" items have been little metal cars, old stickers, a toothbrush, ROCKS for goodness sakes, and finally, torn up pieces of paper (which he collects by the way – yes, he collects garbage- for his plethora of toy garbage trucks).

Heather August 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm

My daughter who will be 2 at the end of September always has her blankey in tow, but absolutely MUST have her stuffed turtle, her Good-Night Moon book, and last but certainly not least her alphabet flash cards :/ at least she likes learning I guess. LoL

Alex@LateEnough August 22, 2010 at 8:00 pm

My son did that… with his SHOES. He had to have them ON.

At least he appreciates a good thing.

PS. also: shoe gene now confirmed (because i love shoes. did i forget to say that?)

Taube September 13, 2010 at 5:55 pm

My kids can't get in the car without their umbrellas! One time, they even napped with them!