why holding your baby is dangerous

I’m all for public service announcements that use a little shock value to raise public awareness, but this is a little much:

You think the safest place in the world for your baby is wrapped in your arms.

But it can also be one of the most dangerous.

You hear that? Put your baby down! NOW! Leave her in her crib all day to atrophy, like Madame Bovary would have. Now there was a good mother.

knittymarisa August 9, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I guess we probably should all stop nursing our babies, too, and just give them nice, sterilized formula to make sure we don't infect them through breast milk…

Amy S. August 9, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I have a friend who never vaccinated her 6 children and now all of them (under 7 years old) have whooping cough! I'm sure she wishes she would have paid attention to this add (as strange as it may seem!) a little closer! They've been struggling for months now to get the cough/phlem under control 🙁

KBH August 9, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I love that it is sponsored by the drug company. Fear is a powerful money-maker!

Amy Wilson August 10, 2010 at 12:19 am

Amy S, that's a horrible story. Yikes. I certainly wouldn't wish whooping cough on anyone's kids– and I certainly hope that mom didn't see this ad, else she'll be beating herself up for having actually held and comforted her sick children.

You're right, KBH, I guess fear sells pharmaceuticals. Wouldn't it be better to have a reasonable ad, with that coughing sound, and just say, this is what pertussis sounds like. If you hear this sound, get help. It could be very "This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?"

Amy Wilson August 10, 2010 at 12:20 am

PS Knittymarisa I hope you pump and dump every time you eat refined carbs, by the way…

Whatevershesaid September 27, 2010 at 9:03 am

Amy S – my two kiddos (6 months at the time & 3 1/2) just had pertussis. I don't wish I had given them the vax. Those who don't vax (any that I know anyway) don't think our kids won't get sick. How stupid would we be to think that?

We used natural remedies, stayed home on voluntary quarantine (as we always do with any sickness anyway just to be kind & not pass runny noses around to everyone) and they did fine through it. My baby was the conformed one, but I think it is fair to say my older one had the same thing. For what it is worth, my children come into contact with NO unvaxed people – literally, we go few places & see few people. All the playmates are vaxed. My mom works daycare & is fully vaxed, I am fully vaxed per requirement for a trip I took for work a few years ago, etc, etc, etc…so someone vaxed brought it in.