Mom, can we live on vacation?

This weekend we took the kids to Woodloch Pines, an “all-inclusive family resort” in the Pocono Mountains. Some parents might pick a weekend a little less hectic than Halloween to plan an overnight getaway, but we tend to stuff things in, that’s how we roll. I can recommend Woodloch most heartily to anyone with children– my kids had an unbelievable time. Picture a cruise ship on land, with costumed characters at every meal (and unlimited ice cream). Maggie asked me yesterday if we could “live at Woodloch and maybe someone else could live in our house.”

The boys are still giving me a breathless play-by-play of every activity they tried, from bumper boats to the scavenger hunt. Yesterday, they were giving me the lowdown on the paintball rifle range (which I, no regrets, missed because of Maggie’s naptime):

CONNOR: And you have this gun? And there’s paint in it?
SEAMUS: And there’s bad guys? And you shoot dem?
CONNOR: And the bad guys? They’re aliens.

Seamus pauses a moment, and shrugs.

SEAMUS: Well. Not weal aliens.

So yeah, fake aliens. A little disappointing. Other than that, though, a perfect weekend.

Courtney November 2, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Fabulous! I still remember all my childhood vacations, some good (Disney) some bad (camping in Colorado in the RAIN with BEARS!). But all the time, making memories.

sharon November 3, 2010 at 12:14 am

When you want a true treat- hit the Lodge at Woodloch sometime (sans kids)! A girlfriend and I went there last year- and it was my first overnight away from my children- in years! It has an incredible spa- yoga classes and great food! Such a great getaway!
Warmly,
Sharon

Anonymous November 3, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I hate to be negative because I am a big fan but I'm a little confused by this post… is it just an ad for this lodge? Sure it sounds fun, but it is expensive and far from many of your readers. Where is the parenting insight/reflection I am used to?

Anonymous November 3, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Dear Anonymous/Big Fan: no, not an ad. If they paid for me to say that I would have said so. I was just a satisfied customer.

Not one of my all-time hilarious or insightful moments, I agree, but we really did have a great time there and that was what I most wanted to say yesterday.

And it's not *that* expensive– we got a great last minute deal (you can subscribe to get notifications). All meals and activities are included. It's way cheaper than Disney, and
an easy drive (at least from the northeast).

It's interesting because if you look at what blogger ranks as the most popular posts on this blog, it's not the personal stuff- it's the useful stuff. So I figure a little of each is a god thing.

I promise more insight and/or attempts at humor next time!

Mollie November 3, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I thought it was pretty funny. I volunteer to be the other person that lives in your house if you decide to move to Woodloch full-time!

Kelly C. November 5, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I didn't find the post to be an advertisement at all. I did however, look up the lodge and saw how wonderful it must have been for your family! I think you and your spousal unit need to return sans children and have a spa weekend!