the dog and the rooster

“Do your boys get along?” another mother asked me this morning, making small talk in the school lobby after dropoff.

I had to think for a moment.  How to answer that? “No” was hardly an adequate response. What I needed to express was that my boys do the most opposite thing of getting along that has ever been known. The opposite-est, as Seamus would explain.

“They’re like a dog and a rooster,” I said finally. Bingo! That was it.

She didn’t follow.

“If I had a dog and a rooster,” I explained, “I wouldn’t have the expectation that I could put them in the same enclosed space. They’re a dog and a rooster. They’re going to go to town on each other.  That’s how they’re made. And yet day after day, I think that I can have my boys play in the same room, and day after day, I’m surprised when someone is bleeding five minutes later. No, my boys do NOT get along. The problem is that I have the expectation that they ever will. I need to remember: I have a dog and a rooster.”

The other mother was horrified.

I think she has daughters.

Can anyone out there relate?

MarjnHomer December 1, 2010 at 9:17 pm

my kids are total opposites too but not always. if my son says the sky is blue she'll say no its light blue or gray just to upset him. she has ths itch to mess n make him cry

Theresa December 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I have a friend who has 2 little boys who want to marry each other and play very sweetly together. Whereas, my 2 little girls try to rip each other's hair out as often as possible. I can totally relate. That other lady is either one of the lucky ones or a liar…lol.

MomQueenBee December 1, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Oh, yeah, I can relate. My four boys are now 18, 20, 22, and 24, and best friends. That's only because they survived being a dog and a rooster and a cat and hamster. Put those together and you have an idea of the past two decades of my life. Take heart, though! You'll love the young men you raise!

Anonymous December 2, 2010 at 6:32 am

If you are as lucky as I am your boys will grow up to be best friends. You will experience the same some day! Hang in there – it gets better.

Lacy December 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I love it! I have a boy and four girls who sometimes get along, and sometimes scream and bleed! Yours is a great analogy, and the photo was excellent. "I think she has daughters," PRICELESS!

Lynnelle December 2, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I have wondered to myself what I did wrong countless times because my daughters do not get along. Why couldn't I be the mother whose daughter politely plays with everyone including her own sister. Instead, I have the one who throws caution to the wind and tells it like is…Crap…she's like me! 🙂 Great post today, Amy!

Amy Wilson December 3, 2010 at 4:33 pm

It is nice to hear I am not alone. You're right MarjnHomer: when my older one is in the mood to stir the pot, all he does is correct every single thing his younger brother says or does, and there'll be tears within ninety seconds.

MomQueenBee, you give me hope for the future!