don’t count your snow day before it… snows

We were so totally supposed to have a snow day here in NYC today. I mean, it was going to snow all night, starting at 7 pm, and not finishing until noon today. No school FOR SURE, right? Outside chance of a two hour delay. But I mean come on.
I became a little too pre-attached to this outcome last night (always a mistake for a mother) and sold the kids hard on the whole inside-out and backwards pajamas thing.  It is a belief widely held among kids of this generation that if you flip the jammies, a snow day will come. I love anything that has my kids believing in magic and hope and wishes really coming true. Therefore, since the weather reports had me certain Santa Snow would come through, I made them all change into their lucky pajamas as soon as we got home from school, scratchy backward collars and all. Then we pre-planned our morning: pancakes, Star Wars Monopoly, hot chocolate, Legos.

Maybe getting outside eventually, if and when we felt like it.

When my husband got home, he was so taken by our exciting snow day preparations, he declared that he would play hooky from work and take a snow day with us, since it would succeed! Yes, it would, indeed! 98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed!
I woke up around 6:15 am, the first in the house. Looked out the window. Huh. Not a LOT of snow. And not currently snowing.
Then I checked my Notify NYC text messages, which I love having on my phone because I get school closing info half an hour before the news channels are reporting it:
NYC OEM
NYC public schools are open. All field trips are cancelled.
Field trips? No! But- no! There must be some mistake! I turned on the TV only to hear the announcer say, with a raised eyebrow, “New York City public schools are open today.”
Even then I wasn’t sure. I kept watching in case, you know, she’d get handed a piece of paper from off camera and say “we have breaking news! A further snow emergency has been declared…”
Connor shuffled into the kitchen. One look at his face and I knew: he knew.
“There’s school,” I said.
“I knew as soon as I looked out the window,” he said. (Much less in denial than I was.)
“I’m going to work,” David sighed. Magic morning? Cancelled.
I don’t know why I’m so bummed that I didn’t get a extra winter’s day of three kids stuck in this apartment, rather than the pleasant silence I am currently enjoying before preschool pickup in fifteen minutes. I guess it’s that the magic let them down– and by extension, so did I, since I encouraged them so hard to believe.
There’s one reason to keep hope alive, at least: according to this “Talk of the Nation” story, you’re supposed to do the inside-out pajamas, NOT backwards, plus lick a spoon and put it under your pillow. I didn’t know about the spoon. Next time we’ll get it right.

tracy January 12, 2011 at 6:19 pm

so funny! i have been praying for snow and my kids aren't even in school! i just love the snow. my guess is you will get more snow this year! better luck next time.

tracy

Courtney January 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Aw, I think that's cute. You wanted to hibernate with your little family in your apartment for the day! Nothing wrong about that! Fingers crossed that someday soon you will get to do that:)

Anonymous January 12, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Scranton kids did get a snowday. We got more than NYC this time.

themrs January 12, 2011 at 8:25 pm

count your blessings girlfriend…i'm trapped for day two with six kids who are FULL of energy! i'm dropping them off tomorrow whether school is open or not 🙂

Taube January 12, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Our flight to Disney World was canceled because of the snow (and we got lots of it – looks like 2 feet, and still falling), and for 24 hours, so was the entire trip. I was devastated. (I did all that planning! I did half the packing already!) My 2 year-old twins couldn't have cared less (because they have no idea what they're missing). In fact, my son consoled me all morning: "Don't worry Mommy. We'll go to Disney next week." Turns out we were able to rebook for next month so maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight. Of course, now I've got an entire week before school starts again, and not a single thing planned for the kids!

Mommy on the Spot January 12, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I, too, was in denial about having school today. In fact, I was late because I spent too much time waiting for my school to show up on the closing list. I was all ready to stay in my jammies this morning. I felt robbed.

April January 13, 2011 at 12:51 am

My oldest does the backward pajama thing all the time. We had a 2 hour delay today and he was so bummed it wasn't a cancellation. He acutally got mad at me – like it was MY fault!

There will be plenty more of snow days. Winter is still young!

Amy Wilson January 13, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I really do need to remember to pace myself. One, it's not even mid-January and this was our third snowstorm. Two, I hate snow. It's the snow day I like, not actually going outside in it.

themrs, you are right… the snow is always snowier on the other side of the fence. If my kids were home they would have driven me nuts, of course.

Taube- oh NO! so glad you were able to reschedule your trip… now what the heck are you going to do with those kids?!

Missy@Wonder, Friend January 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I completely understand your disappointment. Even though you know that by the end of a snow day everyone will have the crazy eyes, and be begging to go anywhere – even to school – there's something romantic about the idea.

We get a snow day about once a year, if that often, so we do really live it up. And yet, one day a year is more than enough.

Just saw your BlissDom badge up there on your site. I'll be there and would love to meet you! I read How Did I Get Like This? a few weeks ago, and I related to so much of it. It would be a thrill to meet the woman behind the words.;-)