on Groundhog Day, and making my own early spring

So does this winter blow chunks, or what? This Groundhog Day feels like this Groundhog Day: haven’t we had this snowpocalypse already this winter, like a hundred times?

This was how I looked waiting for the bus this morning:

while my three kids skated around me, saying “wheee!” and “look at the icicles Mommy!” I mostly ignored them, except when I hissed to get off the snow RIGHT NOW because I do not have an extra pair of pants for all of you.  I was getting drenched in frozen rain standing there at the bus stop, and if my kids were going to find a way to make it all fun, by God, I was going to be Mean and Cranky Mommy and squeeze all the joy right back out of it.  There is nothing fun about this winter, nothing at all, and apparently Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow this morning, which means an early spring, but all you have to do is look out the window to know that that is complete and utter groundhog poop. It will be winter forever, it is going to precipitate on my head every morning at the bus stop, and the sun will never shine again.

I fear that Bill Murray wears this bad attitude better than I do.

There is always a silver lining: I am off to move Groundhog Day to the top of my Netflix queue, since it just might be the best movie ever. (Here’s someone who agrees with me). And it’s PG, and I think 6 and 8 just might be old enough to have a nascent appreciation of the genius of this motion picture. Just thinking about Seamus cuddled up with me on the couch, giggling helplessly, is melting my sleet-encrusted heart a tiny bit. Maybe spring really is on the way.

Are you doing anything to pick up your spirits during this long winter of our discontent?

Jeanne's Daughter February 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm

As Janis Joplin wisely said, "It's all the same f-in day, man." Awesome post.

SF Steph February 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I love Groundhog Day too. If you're in a rush, you can stream it from Netflix right now — it's one of their instant play options. Also, thanks for transporting me to NYC with your descriptive post. It almost made me forget I was in sunny and warmish San Francisco 😉

Shannon W February 2, 2011 at 6:15 pm

You may want to rethink Groundhog Day for your boys (or not).

Doesn't Bill Murray's character have to sleep with the girl for the day to stop repeating. That's what I recall from watching is movie years ago – he couldn't get out of Punxsutawney until he got laid.

Commonsense media rates it on for 11+. I love that site and generally agree with their age ratings.

Amy Wilson February 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm

SF Steph: way to rub it in. Now I'm depressed again.

Shannon W: is that happens?! Yikes I think you're right. Perhaps some youtube selected clips, in that case.

brammynyc February 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I am in complete agreement with your statement, "It will be winter forever, it is going to precipitate on my head every morning at the bus stop, and the sun will never shine again."

I can be the grumpy mommy, too to the most optimistic, outgoing, tigger-bouncing little girl and i feel better knowing I'm not the only one, after your reading your post!

SF Steph February 2, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Aww, cheer up; Spring is just around the corner! Plus I'll get my comeuppance when you're enjoying those lovely warm spring and summer days, and I'm in the gloom and coldness that is a San Francisco summer!

Mommy on the Spot February 2, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I LOVE that movie!

We've been baking. And seeing how many toys we can take out at one time and not put away.

Anonymous February 3, 2011 at 2:53 am

My kids wouldn't stay long enough to see Bill Murray shag the girl… they deemed the movie boring after 15 minutes and left. 🙁

Sheila Baum February 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I feel your pain. In southern Ohio we have missed a lot of the snow this year that you all on the East coast have been taking for the team. Last winter, here, was like your current winter.
Sounds like you are coping better than me. I had a panic attack during one of the last great storms with no power. My eczema kicked into high gear and spread to my head where I lost huge patches of hair on the back of my head. Boy, do I know how to deal with a winter!
Groundhog Day is a winner for the winter blues — I also recommend Trapped in Paradise with Dana Carvey. It may be a good idea to try some summer films too. Music Man is a good one to lift your spirits and may be a little more kid friendly.
Good Luck and pray for an early spring.

Paola February 3, 2011 at 3:22 pm

nothing better than a 10 day trip to Paris-France in March to forget about Toronto's (Ontario-Canada) winters….

Courtney February 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I have no advice. I feel your pain. Here in Milwaukee, we got two feet of snow Tuesday-Wednesday. Entire city shut down. Yesterday, I shoveled snow with my husband for about 5 hours (we were helping neighbors, too). My two-year old was housebound for 4 days. We are all driving each other batty. Seriously, the only thing that gets me through is A) knowing there WILL be an end B) my nightly hot bath with glass of wine once said child is sleeping and C) I've been buying things on etsy.com and amazon.com like crazy. Gotta get those endorphin levels up somehow! Oh, and the Packers are in the Super Bowl! Go Pack Go (a nice excuse to have a party in the dead of winter!).

Meredith L. February 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm

My 2-year old has eczema, and this morning I went to the hospital at 3am to be diagnosed with an ulcer. You know, on top of the never-ending snow and ice.

I'm coping the only way I know how to when I can't have caffeine or booze: catastrophic amounts of chocolate.

Amy Wilson February 4, 2011 at 5:09 pm

brammynyc: Yup, plenty of company in our crowd, I think.

Mommyonthespot: my kids LOVE that game.

Sheila, I have not dealt with this winter very well, but I am not eczematic as of this writing, so I will count that among my blessings.

Paola, that's just mean. Enjoy the city of lights!

Meredith: sorry to hear about the ulcer. that sucks. and the eczema! what's with the eczema trend here?

Missy@Wonder, Friend February 5, 2011 at 4:47 am

This just made me laugh out loud: "It will be winter forever, it is going to precipitate on my head every morning at the bus stop, and the sun will never shine again."

This week, I feel your pain. We've had no school due to cold (not ice or snow; just COLD).