Listen To Your Mother, and change her life

We did it. Listen To Your Mother NYC happened, it really did, and it was even more than I had hoped.

You might think that before the show that we were panicked. But we weren’t. I was more certain that this show would be a success than any show I have ever worked on. Sure, emotions were high backstage, but we gathered for one last pep talk knowing that we were about to share incredible stories with an audience that was so ready to hear them. There was nothing but joy.

I haven’t felt that way since my wedding day: here is a room full of love, ready to celebrate, ready to soar.

My only regret was that we didn’t have 200 more seats to sell. But the YouTube channel will have all the performances up by this summer, and until then, you can watch the hundred stories that are already part of the canon. (Warning: clear your schedule first! It’s hard to stop watching once you start.)

Every single woman and man on that stage left her or his comfort zone in a different way. And there wasn’t one of us who didn’t feel utterly transformed by the experience. It was so great I’m considering piling into the car on Friday to go see Philly’s LTYM show. I want to be in a room like that again.

By seven p.m last night, I had closed down the cast party with the last few of us not yet ready to leave cloud nine. When I got home, my three children ran to the door to greet me, to ask how it was, to hold me tight, to present me with this token of their gratitude for having me as their mother:

in case you can't read upside down and backwards, this says "I really love you"

and I said to my husband “You didn’t have to make them do that,” and he said, “I didn’t, they really wanted to.”

And then within five minutes I was hip-deep in gym bags and permission slips and soccer cleats, the typical Sunday night madness, like the show had never happened. And I was so sorry to wake up this morning with the show in my rear view mirror. But it changed me. It changed all of us who were privileged to have our stories heard. My deepest thanks to everyone who helped make it happen.

If you live in Spokane, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Madison, or northwest Indiana, you can still see this year’s shows. Don’t miss them.

Time to announce the winner of the Fresh Direct gift card: Melanie! I’ll be contacting you by email.

Patty Chang Anker May 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I will carry that green room pep talk in my heart for the rest of my life.  You’re such a brave, authentic, leader, Amy.  Thank you for bringing the best out in each of us.  Written from Cloud 9 (and not ready to come back)  xo P

kathykate May 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm

thank you amy, for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime!

Kpiccini May 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I am beyond humbled to have been part of your cast…I will talk about yesterday…for the rest of my days. Thank you so much Amy for giving us all of life changing moment. Xo

Holly Rosen Fink May 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I wish I was in the green room, god darn it, to hear that pep talk! It was still a GREAT day and meant the world to me.  I miss working with you already.

amywlsn May 7, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Me too Holly. You were missed. You took one for the team.

ellenstar May 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Amy, you write so beautifully about the experience we all shared. When you used that “theater camp” exercise, where we all stood in a circle, held hands and felt the pulse go around the circle; and shared our wishes for each other, I truly felt as though we were all connected. And we were; all througout the show. We’ve built a community; and it will last and last, and we will support each other’s dream and goals. It’s not just me, I know now. Something was reborn in all of us by being involved in the cultural phenomenon of LTYM. The world needs more of that!
Estelle

Jonny May 7, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Truly, this was a one-of-a-kind experience and weren’t we all so lucky to be a part of it!  Thank you for everything, Amy.  (and that card made me all teary-eyed …)

Wendi May 7, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Congratulations! It’s really a transforming experience and one that’s hard to understand until you’ve gone through it yourself. I’m so thrilled for you and your cast!

Jo-Ann Rogan May 7, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Come on down to Philly!!!!  90- miles and we’d so so would like to see  you.  Congrats!!

Anymommy May 7, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Such a perfect description of the experience.  I’m so glad all was “perfect” for NYC!

Mollie May 7, 2012 at 10:52 pm

The show was terrific – hilarious and moving, sometimes at the same time. I’m so glad I was there.

The Mommy Psychologist May 8, 2012 at 5:56 am

My curiosity is totally piqued. I wanna do it. I think…

Katy @ Experienced Bad Mom May 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Congratulations to all the moms/participants! Waiting for the YouTube channel…

Laura Rossi Totten May 9, 2012 at 1:16 am

Amy:   Congrats!   Where do I sign up for next year’s???!!! Please keep growing this! Cheers, Laura Rossi

Deborah Goldstein May 9, 2012 at 7:32 pm

From the tips you gave us about reading and stage presence to the pre-show pep talk to your own beautiful piece and to the professionalism you brought to every aspect of the show, you were an absolute star!  Thank you for taking us from page to performance.

Anne May 11, 2012 at 7:16 pm

From the audience perspective, it was a great show, Amy.  Congratulations for the touching reading of your very moving piece and the best directing job of all, where everyone is great, it all looks effortless  and you can’t even see the director’s hand.