not ready to forget

Today marks eleven years since what almost any New Yorker would tell you was one of the worst days of our lives.

I woke up this morning and flipped on Morning Joe to listen and remember. They were talking about Beyonce’s baby.

I turned to the local news channel, New York 1. They were discussing whether Vitamin D might be the long-sought cure to male pattern baldness.

I picked up the New York Times, the gray lady. Their coverage of 9/11 was tireless. Today, September 11, 2012, there is no mention of 9/11 on its front page.

And then I went to Facebook, where I found a news feed full of pictures and poems and heartfelt remembrances and vows never to forget.

We hear a lot about social media and how it’s bringing the death of civilization, the end of productivity, the porridge-ing of our brains.

But for me, today, I found community and comfort.

The internet’s not all bad.

Off to remember and pray on this sad day.

Liz Slate September 11, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Woke up on a beautiful Tuesday morning just like I did 11 years ago today.

Spent the first part of the morning showing and explaining to my kids the pictures that my friends and bloggers posted in remembrance.

Never forget

amywlsn September 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm

thanks for sharing, Liz.

Mohaley September 12, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I’m very sad that only 11 years after 3000 innocent people lost their lives the local school system failed to have a moment of silence to remember the victims and their families. Like so many others, I took the time to explain the significance of the day to my 8 and 5 year old so that they will never forget.

amywlsn September 13, 2012 at 6:47 pm

My kids’ school did nothing, either. My friend said it’s like we got to ten years and then- if it’s not a “big” anniversary, it’s not a big deal. I think that’s sad.

Holly Rosen Fink September 20, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Just reading this and you are right. I sat in bed all morning on 9/11 listening to the names of every victim and did not move until it was over. I will never, ever forget.